Friday, April 2, 2010

Chet Baker


Well, I’m not sure what I’m supposed to write here. I suppose it should be something interesting. Since I’m the music guy here at N.C.F. I’ll start with that. It’s 5 a.m. and I’m awake with pain from my surgery last week. Pain really makes you appreciate it’s absence. You start to notice moments of relief or rest and appreciate them more. Anyone who knows my taste in music, knows I like jazz. Right now, I’m listening to Chet Baker. Chet was a trumpeter from the 1950’s. He was on the cusp of the “cool” jazz movement, and he was cool! His recording of “My Funny Valentine” with Gerry Mulligan (1952) is considered one of the best versions of that standard ever recorded. Chet also sang. O! Did he sing. He had one of those melt the skin off a rhinoceros voices that had all the tonal resonance and control of his other instrument. Yet, he was often criticized by jazz “purists” of his day for his singing. Apparently, it wasn’t cool to sing. Well, I’ll let you draw the parallelisms here, but I for one am glad that he didn’t listen! Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment